Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Let's talk about 4th edition D&D

Review 4 Initiative merb101 is on a distinguished road merb101's Avatar
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 124
    Overall activity: 0%
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Achievements:
    Veteran Created Album pictures Tagger 2nd Class 5000 Experience Points Overdrive

Quote Originally Posted by Shootin Bricks View Post
    Do you think that's a good thing or a bad thing? I personally think it's a good thing IF the combat is interesting (the players actively engaged in tactics is one thing that makes it interesting for me).

I think that's one of the nice things about Skill Challenges- they make it so every encounter doesn't have to be a combat encounter. The players seriously could talk their way past the monsters using Diplomacy or Intimidate and still get XP as if they'd slain them (I'd give it a high DC, but as a Skill Challenge the characters can work as a team and get bonuses).

ALSO- you asked me Saturday about spells and magic and I totally forgot to tell you about RITUALS. They work very much like the old spells, anyone can do it who has the Ritual Casting Feat (Wizards and Clerics get it for free) and it includes some old favorites like Tenser's Floating Disk, Magic Mouth, and Raise Dead.

I'm thinking about starting my campaign this Saturday at the Stronghold. Its probably going to be a monthly game, which means I'd be free to attend the KR Games day's at the South Charleston Public Library. I have no problem running a skirmish each time or even doing a separate campaign.

I will say that if the combat does take longer, it feels more engaging. I don't remember any kind of downtime for the players. Even when it wasn't your turn, you were looking at the board, thinking ahead, looking at your abilities to see how things would play out. I also scrapped several plans when the pieces were moved because other players would move into my area of effect, or enemies would go from ranged to close combat. Really, there was almost a bit of brain burn trying to follow everything, but I loved it.

ME

One reason that it may/probably lasted longer is that we were all a little unfamiliar with the rules and that slowed things down a lot.

I would like to play more and see how much it speeds up when we all are more familiar with combat.

It could be a problem with the game if all combats take this long. I could see role playing taking a big hit if the combat phases are drawn out.

I like the combat now because it forces that players to use strategy and tactics, something I have see very lacking with some players. It could also turn off those payers who are pure power gamers but I don'r care about that because i don't like playing with people like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Shootin Bricks View Post
    Do you think that's a good thing or a bad thing? I personally think it's a good thing IF the combat is interesting (the players actively engaged in tactics is one thing that makes it interesting for me).

I think that's one of the nice things about Skill Challenges- they make it so every encounter doesn't have to be a combat encounter. The players seriously could talk their way past the monsters using Diplomacy or Intimidate and still get XP as if they'd slain them (I'd give it a high DC, but as a Skill Challenge the characters can work as a team and get bonuses).

ALSO- you asked me Saturday about spells and magic and I totally forgot to tell you about RITUALS. They work very much like the old spells, anyone can do it who has the Ritual Casting Feat (Wizards and Clerics get it for free) and it includes some old favorites like Tenser's Floating Disk, Magic Mouth, and Raise Dead.

I'm thinking about starting my campaign this Saturday at the Stronghold. Its probably going to be a monthly game, which means I'd be free to attend the KR Games day's at the South Charleston Public Library. I have no problem running a skirmish each time or even doing a separate campaign.
    what time on saturday?

Quote Originally Posted by kgpanzer View Post
    what time on saturday?
    I hadn't quite decided on that- the store hours are 12-10. I'm not sure I can get my friends there that early. Also, there's going to be Magic card swap so I don't know how crowded it's going to be.

What times good for you?

UPDATE: Dammit. I have to work this weekend after all, so I'm going to have to kick off the new campaign NEXT Saturday instead.
    Last edited by Doug James; 07-24-2008 at 01:30 PM.

Hey everyone-

Just dropping by to let anyone who might be interested know that I'll be at the Stronghold at Noon tomorrow trying once again to kick start my 4th Edition D&D campaign.

I still have room for more players, or just stop by and watch.

Sorry for the late notice, I'll do better next time.

Doug

+ Reply to Thread