Super hero RPG recommendations
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Super hero RPG recommendations

Default Super hero RPG recommendations

Can anyone recommend a good superhero RPG?

I've previously tried Champions and have both Silver Age Sentinels and Necessary Evil but am looking for something different. I haven't tried M&M, Bash or ICONS yet.

I'd like something that covers power levels pretty well but have no preference on rules light versus crunch.

Review 4 Initiative merb101 is on a distinguished road merb101's Avatar
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 124
    Overall activity: 0%
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Achievements:
    Veteran Created Album pictures Tagger 2nd Class 5000 Experience Points Overdrive

Right now one of my favorite super hero RPGs is Truth & Justice by Atomic Sock Monkey Press. It is a bit different than some of the more crunch-oriented and D20-style games. Characters use qualities, such as "Honorable" or "Lawyer" to gain bonuses in different situations. Everything is resolved with two d6s. The funkiest part is when you take damage, you lower the rank of your qualities. The first quality that gets hit generates a story hook for the next session, so literally Spider-Man gets punched in the "Mary Jane" and across town Peter Parker doesn't show up for his date, reducing his relationship with her. Next session Spidey/Peter has to try and fix things, and chances are the villains ain't gonna give him the night off.

You may also look at BASH which can be purchased as a PDF at DriveThruRPG. It is a faster, simpler super hero game. Nowadays that is my philosophy for supers games: Simpler is better.
    Education reporter and games reviewer
    The Parkersburg News and Sentinel
    www.newsandsentinel.com

Thanks for the recommendations. Truth & Justice sounds unusual and interesting. I'll take a look at both.

SparkForce7 Coordinator Medley475 has disabled reputation Medley475's Avatar
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 288
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points Your first Group Veteran

It's out of print, but if you like a storyline driven RPG such as DeadLands, try Brave New World. It was a d6 system that you kept the highest roll, and the d6s exploded. There are two classifications of super heroes in it, Alphas and Deltas. All the Alphas were killed by a bomb that wiped out Chicago. The main history divergence was that JFK did not get assassinated, instead it was Jackie that died in that attack. The date is now the 90s and JFK is still president after declaring Martial Law after that attempt. Deltas have to register with the government, else become outlaws. Something similar to Marvel's Civil War, but done before that hit print.

Jim

Being the Palladium nut that I am, the Revised Heroes Unlimited is one of the more extensive games I have seen. Character generation is a bit complex (not difficult just lots of skills and details) but the PCs end up well made and allows them to build custom heroes or random creations at will. There are a few expansion or "world" books as they are listed, but using only the core and a healthy dose of imagnination is more than enough to get a campaign going.

+ Reply to Thread