Dont forget to close your doors at night!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dont forget to close your doors at night!

Default Dont forget to close your doors at night!

From http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,398502,00.html

--

IDLEDALE, Colorado A mountain lion crept through an open door into a house outside Denver, snatched a Labrador retriever from a bedroom where two people were sleeping and left the dog's dead body outside, wildlife managers said Tuesday.

No one else was hurt in the home about 14 miles southwest of Denver.

Wildlife officials later trapped the 130-pound male cat using the dog's body as bait and fatally shot it.

Colorado Division of Wildlife spokesman Tyler Baskfield said the cat entered the house through open French doors early Monday and fled with the Labrador after the owners woke up.

"The people got up and looked around and saw the mountain lion's tail leaving the house," Baskfield said.

Mack and Jacquie Anderson told Denver television stations that their 12-year-old Labrador named Scout was killed by the lion. Another dog sleeping in the room wasn't harmed.

Jacquie Anderson said they were awakened by a commotion in the room at around 4:30 a.m. and, when she got up to check what was happening, she realized the big cat was in the bedroom. She exclaimed that there was a mountain lion in the room and she believes that led it to run out the open doors with Scout in its mouth. The dog weighed 72 pounds.

The couple said the dogs didn't bark to warn them of the mountain lion.

The owners agreed to use the dog's body for bait. Baskfield said mountain lions often stash their kills and return for them later.

Although wild animals ranging from raccoons to bears might amble in through open doors and windows, "it is kind of strange for a large predator like that to come that close to the house," Baskfield said.

Colorado has an estimated 3,000 to 7,000 mountain lions.

Review 4 Initiative merb101 is on a distinguished road merb101's Avatar
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 124
    Overall activity: 0%
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Achievements:
    Veteran Created Album pictures Tagger 2nd Class 5000 Experience Points Overdrive

If I were a 12-year old labrador retriever, that's how I'd want to go ...

ME

Holy Crap! That is some scary stuff. It shocks me that the dogs did not bark at all. Do you think they were just scared or what? I mean what dog just sits there and lets a huge cat chomp down on him and carry him out? I suppose the cat could have crept up on him and got him while he was sleeping, but I would think that the other dog would have raised some hell.

Oh well, that is one brave cat. Probably a good thing they put it down.

TR
    Director of Stuff

I think this all sounds suspicious to me. I think the other lab got pissed because the other was eating his food so he concocted this wild story about a mountain lion etc... the whole time he is laughing all the way to the food bowl.

This stry is going to go down in the annals of unsolved mysteries, ala the John Benet killing.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Reynolds View Post
    Holy Crap! That is some scary stuff. It shocks me that the dogs did not bark at all. Do you think they were just scared or what? I mean what dog just sits there and lets a huge cat chomp down on him and carry him out? I suppose the cat could have crept up on him and got him while he was sleeping, but I would think that the other dog would have raised some hell.

Oh well, that is one brave cat. Probably a good thing they put it down.

TR
    Considering your dog never shuts up, I can see why you are skeptical.
    CharCon Boardgame Dude

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Orders View Post
    I think this all sounds suspicious to me. I think the other lab got pissed because the other was eating his food so he concocted this wild story about a mountain lion etc... the whole time he is laughing all the way to the food bowl.

This stry is going to go down in the annals of unsolved mysteries, ala the John Benet killing.
    LMAO

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Reynolds View Post
    Holy Crap! That is some scary stuff. It shocks me that the dogs did not bark at all.
    The article doesn't mention the health of the dogs. When my dog was younger, she would bark at almost everything - doorbells, cats walking outside, tall people coming inside the house (she didn't like tall people), etc. She often started barking before the doorbell even rang. Then she stopped barking most of the time. Eventually, she didn't even react when the doorbell rang. 12 years old is pretty old for a dog. My Celene was almost 15 when she died a few weeks ago and I doubt she would have done anything had a mountain lion come into our house.

Quote Originally Posted by Sephera View Post
    The article doesn't mention the health of the dogs.
    Nor does it mention the intelligence level of both dogs in question. It reminds me of a favorite quote: "If you find yourself in the company of a halfling and an ill-tempered dragon, remember that you do not have to outrun the dragon; you simply have to outrun the halfling."

dude, that's just wrong! and what's up with the dogs? my boys woulda been barking their heads off!

The dog and the cat had an agreement.

+ Reply to Thread