Converting old D&D scenarios to 4th Ed
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Converting old D&D scenarios to 4th Ed

Default Converting old D&D scenarios to 4th Ed

Hi Guys and Gals,

You look to be the perfect group to answer these questions for me.

What are the chances of anyone converting old AD&D (TSR or anyone elses) to 4th ed. Is it worth it or even likely that someone would want to do it?

The reason I ask is that my closet is overflowing with a lot of this old stuff and I am not sure what value it has anymore. No, I am not talking about throwing or giving it away, I do understand there is some EBay value here. Most of my stuff is well used so there is very little collectible quality in my closet. Are these being bought as collectors items, used in 2nd ed campaigns, or being updated to 4th edition?

BTW, Tegal Manor was the Shizzle Dizzle.
    CharCon Boardgame Dude

Charlie I would be interested in looking through the D&D material if you decide to get rid of it

What are the chances of anyone converting old AD&D (TSR or anyone elses) to 4th ed. Is it worth it or even likely that someone would want to do it?
    I actually did it with a 3.5 adventure, Barrow of the Forgotten King. It's both easy and hard. You basically have to recreate all of the combat encounters. With 4E, it's kinda simple. But you also have to work in Skill Challenges and because they won't already exist in the module you have to make them from scratch and find places to work them in. This requires a bit of work.
    The reason I ask is that my closet is overflowing with a lot of this old stuff and I am not sure what value it has anymore. No, I am not talking about throwing or giving it away, I do understand there is some EBay value here. Most of my stuff is well used so there is very little collectible quality in my closet. Are these being bought as collectors items, used in 2nd ed campaigns, or being updated to 4th edition?
    I don't collect them exactly, but I sure love to read them. Even if I don't plan to convert them "as is", I might find them useful. If we're talking low dollar range, I'm interested, but on an individual basis, not as a lot. I have a few already and i'm not interested in doubles. Then again, if the price of the lot is right...
    If you want to bring them to a Saturday games day or the Tech day in March, I might take some off your hands.
    As far as selling old D&D material goes, you have to consider the effects of the internet on the value. Almost all of that stuff has been scanned and is available in digital form for free if you know where to look and have low scruples. That really affects the resale value of the stuff in our closets. I know you can find some stuff for decent prices on Ebay, but you'd be surprised some of the stuff I've found dirt cheap at Salvation Army's Thrift store and Capitol Flea Market. Those are the kinds of deals i look for.
    BTW, Tegal Manor was the Shizzle
    Dizzle.[/QUOTE]

Never heard of it, but you've piqued my curiosity.

Tegal Manor was a Judges Guild product based in the City State of the Invincible Overlord. The manor had over 200 rooms in it with descriptions and the land surrounding the manor was mapped out. Judges Guild put out a lot of official D&D scenarios (modules) in the early 70s and Tegal Manor is probably the most played (famous). I played in it but don't think I ever owned the thing. I do have a couple of the player maps which made me think of it. I will bring some of the stuff to a KR game day and let you and Nick or anyone else fight over it. I will have some of it at the WVU TECH Game Day on March 7th also.
    CharCon Boardgame Dude

Review 4 Initiative merb101 is on a distinguished road merb101's Avatar
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 124
    Overall activity: 0%
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Achievements:
    Veteran Created Album pictures Tagger 2nd Class 5000 Experience Points Overdrive

Charlie, I'm a casual collector of the old modules. I don't really see myself converting them to 4e, but there is still a cult following of the old style D&D and a fair number of players. I think there is still a demand for the modules, even if "gently used"

A friend of mine just gave me some of his old Middle Earth Role Playing books, some sans covers. The material is still a fun read.

ME

I found that Teagal Manor Module at Origins a couple of years ago at a small out of the way booth. This guy had it sitting in a rack and I got it from him.

Well, I sold about $110 and gave away as prizes* about $20 of the stuff yesterday. It is funny, the old school guys also have closets full of this stuff and the young guys only want the newest fad for the most part. It appears I will have to broaden my customer base to get rid of more of it. Look out ebay here I came. Thanks to everyone that looked at the stuff, whether you bought anything or not. I am glad someone else is getting some enjoyment out of it.

* 18% Donation to CharCon so no one complains about me making money off of the site.
    CharCon Boardgame Dude

Charlie (and everyone else) we don't have a problem for using this site to sell RPG and gaming material. It's best to use it local for other local gamers to use and enjoy instead of the evil EBAY monster and their fees and regulations.

It's fine to advertise on here. If it starts becoming popular then we can add a sell tab to the forums area but it doesn't seem to be that way right now.

+ Reply to Thread