Theme
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Theme

Default Theme

Last year the theme for CharCon was Horror and it was very successful. So, we are going to try the whole theme thing again. With that in mind, we are trying to decide on our theme for 2009 and we want your help!

The CharCon staff has been discussing some options, but want to get your ideas and opinions. So, here are some of the ideas that we have discussed. Please feel free to comment on these and also to suggest some of your own.

When suggesting or commenting on a theme, remember that ideally it will be general enough so as to be easily incorporated into a game of just about any Genre and allows for Game Masters to develop lots of variety. Get to specific and there just isn't any wiggle room.

Once we have some discussion and more suggestions, our staff will pick from the best and we will post a poll to vote on the theme for 2009.

Here are some starter suggestions:

Oktoberfest

Pirates vs. Ninjas

Trains

Economy

Have at it!

TR
    Director of Stuff

It should be something simple that appeals to a large number of people.

Post apocalyptic?

Martial Arts?

Post Apocalyptic Martial Arts?

Cyberpunk?

SPACE! The final frontier: Tons of stuff like Star Trek, Star Wars, Robotech, Farscape, Warhammer40k Battlefleet Gothic, Spacefarers of Catan...

Futuristic: Don't want to narrow it down to just space? Expand it to cover anything that deals with the future or science fiction.

Superheroes: Self explanatory. Comic events, costume contests, Heroclix...

Military: TONS of stuff to do with this one, as a lot of games are based off of military tactics. You can hold Civil War and WWII miniature games that reinact important historic battles, GMs can run D&D and other RPGs that put the characters on a battlefield between battling armies, or sent on a special mission from the military behind enemy lines. To not include Risk in the list of boardgames for it would be blasphemous. I remember that there's a really cool WWI fighter plane game that a group of guys always hold at Charcon every year, which would be right up the alley of this theme. There could also be a charity event to help out today's soldiers that are over seas in Iraq and Afganistan.

Review 4 Initiative merb101 is on a distinguished road merb101's Avatar
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 124
    Overall activity: 0%
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Achievements:
    Veteran Created Album pictures Tagger 2nd Class 5000 Experience Points Overdrive

Super heroes is always a huge one, cause it gives you a bit of crossover with the comic book crowd, and is a bit more mainstream these days. Tons of great games, both board and rpg out there that deal with the comic book themes. A couple of my favorites are Numbers League card game and Truth & Justice RPG. I know the creators/publishers of both of those.

Plus there is my good friend AJ Menden who will have her new super hero/romance novel Tekgrrl out May 26 and would probably love to be a featured guest at CharCon in October...

ME

I'd like the superhero idea. Ofcourse I've just rewatched Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog, so that could be effecting my opinions.

My thought when trying to pick a theme is, how will it effect Orc and Pie? With the horror one it became Zombie Orc and Pie, so you got to think of what he can do with it with the next theme.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Anderson View Post
    I'd like the superhero idea. Ofcourse I've just rewatched Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog, so that could be effecting my opinions.

My thought when trying to pick a theme is, how will it effect Orc and Pie? With the horror one it became Zombie Orc and Pie, so you got to think of what he can do with it with the next theme.
    How about SUPER Orc and Pie?

I vote we do horror again this year- and every year until I win the costume contest.

Review 4 Initiative merb101 is on a distinguished road merb101's Avatar
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 124
    Overall activity: 0%
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Achievements:
    Veteran Created Album pictures Tagger 2nd Class 5000 Experience Points Overdrive

Have we gotten any closer to deciding a theme?

ME

So far the most positive response has been the Superhero/comics theme, though I'd probably talk to the charcon main staff, create a small list of themes you've seen suggested, and put up a poll to vote on.

Could Martial Arts fit under that theme, or should it be another choice for a theme? After all, many people see martial arts as "superpowers".