2009 Premier Board Game Tournament
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2009 Premier Board Game Tournament

Default 2009 Premier Board Game Tournament

2009 Premier Board Game Tournament Information and Other Stuff!

CharCon 2008 saw the debut of our Premier Board Game Tournament and it was a smashing success. There were six games that made up the tournament and the top three finishers in the finals of each game won a prize (in some cases the game they were playing) while the overall tournament winner winner took home a stack of Rio Grande games. All said, about 60 attendees participated in the tournament.

Due to popular demand we have decided to once again offer CharCon attendees the opportunity to participate in the Premier Board Game Tournament this year. Taking part in this event couldn't be easier. Just sign up on site. It does cost $10 to participate but thanks to Rio Grande Games, every participant will take home at least one great game!

This year's games will include:

Small World from Days of Wonder. In Small World the players take control of a variety of races with special powers like Commando Halflings, Heroic Orcs, Flying Amazons and Peaceful Ghouls. With these races they attempt to carve out their place on the face of Small World. Races rise and fall and there can only be one victor. Members of the Appalachian Gamers ran games of Small World at Origins this year and it was a hit with everyone who played.

Say Anything from North Star Games. The name says it all. Players are given a question and they are free to write down whatever answer they wish. One player per round will have the honor of choosing the best answer while the other players place bets on which answer they think will be the winner. Great fun.

Dominion from Rio Grande Games. This game provides the feel of many collectible card games without the collectible aspect. It was this year's Spiel des Jahres winner, one of the most prestigious prizes in the gaming world. Its easy to play and plays quickly but has plenty of depth and strategy in addition to variability due to the number of cards. This tournament will use the base game.

Roll Through the Ages from Gryphon Games. In this game, players roll dice to obtain commodities and workers to build up their civilization while trying to avoid catastrophe. A lighter civilization game that still has plenty of options and interesting choices for the players to make.

We will be adding two more games to the line up, but those games have not yet been 100% confirmed. As soon as they are we will be sure to announce them.

In addition to the board game tournament, the Appalachian Gamers haul games to CharCon from their personal collections to share with the attendees. These are free for all attendees to play and gamers are encouraged to bring games from their own collections that they would like to play in our open gaming area.

We also plan to run some longer or more intricate games during the convention including:

Arkham Horror
    Memoir '44 Overlord Scenarios
    Commands & Colors: Ancients Epic Zama
    Descent
    Middle Earth Quest
    Chaos in the Old World
    Space Hulk
    Shadows Over Camelot w/Merlin
    Battlestar Galactica w/Pegasus

All of this board gaming goodness in addition to everything else that CharCon has to offer. We look forward to seeing you all there!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ChaosInTheOldWorld.jpg‎
Views:	92
Size:	9.9 KB
ID:	225   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dominion.jpg‎
Views:	301
Size:	9.6 KB
ID:	226   Click image for larger version

Name:	rio_grande_games.gif‎
Views:	295
Size:	12.0 KB
ID:	227   Click image for larger version

Name:	Roll Through the Ages.jpg‎
Views:	296
Size:	8.9 KB
ID:	228   Click image for larger version

Name:	SmallWorld.jpg‎
Views:	300
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	230  

Click image for larger version

Name:	SayAnything.jpg‎
Views:	302
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	231  

Will Perkins Cheshire is on a distinguished road Cheshire's Avatar
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 40
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran Overdrive 5000 Experience Points

SWEEEET! Looking foreward to it.

Will there also be smaller single game tournaments like last year (such as Ticket to Ride, Cleopatra, etc)?

Quote Originally Posted by Brent_Doughty View Post
    Will there also be smaller single game tournaments like last year (such as Ticket to Ride, Cleopatra, etc)?
    Both of those games were part of this event last year. Each "single game" tournament contributed to the overall total.

TR
    Director of Stuff

Brent and others,
    We are always looking for volunteers to run tournaments or single games. If there is something that you want to play, now is a great time set it up. One of our sponsors is Wattsalpoag and we will be playing a great new game from them called Jet Set. It may be a tournament or single games. There are several other games the staff would love to see scheduled so step up and help fill that void.
    CharCon Boardgame Dude

Dominion is a freakin blast to play. Love playing it at 5 corners every chance I get and a bunch of my friends have picked it up (as will I soon). Hopefully Seaside will drop by the time the Con rolls around.

Quote Originally Posted by gblock View Post
    Dominion is a freakin blast to play. Love playing it at 5 corners every chance I get and a bunch of my friends have picked it up (as will I soon). Hopefully Seaside will drop by the time the Con rolls around.
    Seaside comes out at Essen in Germany, which happens to be the same week as CharCon. So, I wouldn't count on seeing copies that weekend. Stranger things have happened, but its not likely.

TR
    Director of Stuff

Review 4 Initiative merb101 is on a distinguished road merb101's Avatar
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 124
    Overall activity: 0%
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Achievements:
    Veteran Created Album pictures Tagger 2nd Class 5000 Experience Points Overdrive

I had a chance to play Say Anything with a group last weekend in Morgantown. It was a lot of fun. I also just received a review copy of Small World, so I am hoping to get a few games of that under my belt before CharCon.

Haven't had a chance to play Dominion yet, but I am really intrigued and wanting to try it out.

ME

Quote Originally Posted by merb101 View Post
    Haven't had a chance to play Dominion yet, but I am really intrigued and wanting to try it out.
    I see what you did there.

Yeah and let's hope that the next game won't be left by the seaside...